Sunday, April 3, 2011

Where did all the street markets go?

Last year was my first journey into craft shows.

I only did two shows & half of the experience was good (with the other half being awful).

I'm toying with the idea of doing the Big Crafty again, but at the same time I thought I'd try out some of the smaller/slower paced markets.

It's been tough to find any local shows... a quick search gave me just two options; The Big Crafty & Asheville 2nd Saturday.

There used to be at least 3 others... small, monthly & bi-monthly markets with just a few vendors.
I saw on one site that vendor participation was low. This doesn't surprise me. A while back I tried to get a group together for a yearly or twice-a-year show and initial interest was high, but we never made it past the first meeting.

So I understand that a great idea just fizzles out (especially due to lack of volunteers, funds & participation). I'm glad that there are a few still available. But I do mourn the little indie shows of the past.

Any one know of any others?

No comments: